top of page
Ursachen für starken Uringeruch

Stinky urine occurs regularly. It is harmless but annoying for the affected person or environment. Urine generally doesn't smell that strong. If a person drinks enough and has no other problems, the urine practically does not smell.

Certain foods such as asparagus, salmon, garlic, and certain spices affect the smell of urine. Sometimes smelly urine can also indicate health problems such as urinary tract infections, kidney stones and prostate problems. 

But drinking too little is a common cause of smelly urine.

Urine is generally pale yellow, acidic, and almost odorless. As long as people drink enough, their urine has little or no smell. Insufficient fluid intake is therefore the main reason for strong-smelling urine. If you drink too little water, the color and smell of your urine will change. This problem is also known as excessively concentrated urine. Excessive consumption of caffeinated drinks such as coffee and alcohol can also lead to overly concentrated urine or dehydration, which can lead to smelly urine.

When dehydration is the cause of strong-smelling urine, the urine turns a darker color. Urine that is too concentrated causes a strong smell of ammonia.

Waste products in urine often have an odor, but the urine is usually diluted enough that you cannot smell the waste products. However, if the urine becomes more concentrated, i.e. H. If there are more waste products in relation to the liquid, the urine will probably smell more like ammonia. Urea is one of the waste products in urine. It is a byproduct of protein breakdown and can be further broken down into ammonia in certain situations. Therefore, many conditions that cause concentrated urine can cause your urine to smell like ammonia.

If your urine sporadically smells like ammonia, it's usually not a cause for concern. You may need to drink more water to dilute your urine. However, if the changed urine smell is accompanied by other symptoms such as pain or possible signs of infection such as fever, you should consult your GP.

bottom of page